Sunday, April 17, 2011

Of Mullets and Men

I met two frogs this weekend (see previous post for overview). I met Frog Four on Saturday at noon at a place in my town called the Wooden Nickel Pub. A hole in the wall, essentially. Not that that’s a bad thing, but I think I will not go there again. I discovered that the pictures he posted on his profile did not reveal the fact that he had a MULLET! That, and I discovered that the photos are also at least 5 years old. C’mon, people – digital camera technology has advanced to the point where one can purchase a camera really cheap! Hell, most cell phones have cameras in them! I think I will ask how old the pictures are from now on. Jeebus!!!

He was a really nice guy, was polite and considerate. But that mullet thing…I can’t abide by that. Nope, can’t do that. I was polite and we had a good conversation. He put me on the spot toward the end, asking if I’d like to do this again. This? You mean, sit in a dive bar, eating a nasty hamburger, drinking a pissy beer and talking to a mullet-wearing guy who can’t face how old he actually is? I took the non-confrontational approach, and said I wasn’t sure, but my head was screaming NOOOOOO!

Frog Five was less of a disappointment. He lives in the Winston-Salem area, so I drove out to meet him at – of all places – East Coast Wings. Not my first choice, but since I didn’t know the area, I figured it couldn’t be worse than where I was yesterday. In actuality, it was better. My stomach is still getting over the bug of early last week, so I didn’t eat much. But, what I did have wasn’t half bad. The weather was beautiful, so we sat outside. Frog Four even looked like his photos. He is not a ticketing agent, like I said previously - but a reservations supervisor. Nice man, quirky in his sense of humor, but quite personable and has some degree of intelligence. We later went to Old Winston, one of the historical districts in the area and walked around a bit. There was a quaint ice cream parlor, so we each got a cone to enjoy in the warm weather. All in all a very nice time. He asked to see me again, so he will be coming out my way next time.

I have to admit that my feelings (hopes) for Frog Two interferes with my efforts to date others. However, I know that I must date other people, because he isn’t ready for a relationship – and I have no idea when or if that might be. Since we are in two different places as far as our readiness for a relationship is concerned, but so much in sync in just about everything else, I am in a constant state of stress. Since last Saturday, I’ve been feeling confused. He was not as affectionate with me as he had been previously. Was it because he doesn’t like me as well anymore, or because he didn’t want to display affection to me at his house while we were working on his car (neighbors, friends, etc)? He put his arm around me and later held my hand while we were out hiking, so at least I know I’m not repulsive to him. We did make arrangements to meet on Monday (tomorrow), and in our email exchange this evening, his reply was somewhat comforting. So, I will satisfy myself with whatever he is willing to offer me, and not complain.

I am trying to be hands-off in dictating the direction of the path that Frog Two and I are on. He is not a man that would take well to a pushy woman. And, I am realizing in my more mature years, that I don’t want to push. If I am unable to develop a relationship with a man that feels natural (and my path with Frog Two feels very free and natural), then I don’t want that relationship. Taking my hands off the controls is very difficult for me, however. The good news is that I am willing to allow him to control the speed and direction - however it may go. I will follow his lead. And, oddly enough, I think that's the best thing for us.

Until next time,

SA